By the end of the GPW, there were 4 standard canteens carried by the standard Red Army solider. This article excludes specialist canteens carried by medics and mountaineers. All 4 canteen variants had a volume of 0.75 litres.
The M1927 was the first canteen introduced by the USSR since its formation. It was similar to the previous Tsarist aluminium design and was closed by a rubber bung.
The M1932 canteen was introduced on 1 May 1932 and had a screw cap. the cap was attached to the body via a chain that was itself attached to a wire ring.
Around the same time in 1932, glass canteens made an introduction to the Soviet Army. They were cast and had a seam across the edge and was closed by a rubber bung. They came in a variety of shades with the most common being light blue-green. Other colours included clear, deep sea blue, brown and light green. Production was further accelerated when the war began so precious aluminium could be used for other roles such as for construction of aircraft. To reduce chances of cracking/breaking the bottles were made of a thick glass. They were the most common canteen out of the 4 during the GPW.
The M1940 canteen was an improved design of the M1936. The body shape changed slightly but is not very obvious when comparing between the 2. The only visually distinguishing feature was that the cap chain was attached to an aluminum loop instead of a tensioned steel spring to the main body.